Podcasts sur l'histoire

Gare de Montrose Colorado - Histoire

Gare de Montrose Colorado - Histoire


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.


Gare de Montrose Colorado - Histoire

Rêves et préservation historique

On pourrait dire que Bob Richardson a fondé non seulement le Colorado Railroad Museum, mais aussi le Ridgway Railroad Museum.

Dans les années 1950, alors que le Rio Grande Southern était en train de disparaître, Bob a découvert plusieurs boîtes de matériaux qui se dirigeaient vers la décharge. Il les a rassemblés et les a remis à Smiles C. Dunn, un résident de Ridgway, avec l'avertissement : « Gardez-les en lieu sûr. » Un jour, il y aura un musée ici pour célébrer la contribution du Rio Grande Southern au sud-ouest du Colorado."

En 1998, près de cinquante ans plus tard, la Ouray County Historical Society a commencé à explorer la possibilité de développer une branche pour reconnaître l'histoire de l'élevage et du chemin de fer de Ridgway. Le résident de Ridgway, Austin Baer, ​​a assisté aux premières réunions et a joué un rôle déterminant dans la création d'un musée ferroviaire indépendant à Ridgway - accomplissant la prophétie de Bob Richardson. Austin est devenu le premier président du conseil d'administration du Ridgway Railroad Museum.

Au cours de ses quelques années d'existence, le musée a apporté une contribution significative à la préservation de l'histoire du chemin de fer du Colorado. En mettant l'accent sur la restauration, l'éducation et la recherche, leurs membres ont développé une ressource précieuse pour toute personne de 6 à 96 ans qui s'intéresse à la façon dont les chemins de fer ont eu un impact et ont changé la vie sur le versant ouest. Rien qu'en 2008, le musée a accueilli 7 084 visiteurs en provenance de 46 États et de 15 pays étrangers. Les membres du musée se composent de personnes de partout aux États-Unis et en Angleterre - des historiens, des passionnés de RGS, des modélistes ferroviaires et ceux qui sont fiers de savoir que Ridgway a commencé sa vie comme une ville ferroviaire.

La restauration a été au premier plan au cours de notre existence. Karl Schaeffer a commencé avec sa recréation méticuleuse du moteur n°1 de Jack Odenbaugh qui, à l'été 2008, était disponible pour les visiteurs, expérimentant la joie de remonter dans le temps de 75 ans. En 2006, le D&RGW Caboose #0575 a été déplacé du parc municipal d'Ouray et ramené à la vie avec une précision historique. En mai 2008, Galloping Goose #4 a été transporté de Telluride à Ridgway où il subit actuellement une reconstruction pluriannuelle qui le ramènera à l'année 1951.

Un musée du chemin de fer existe pour éduquer. Nos artefacts et nos matériaux ont permis aux membres du musée de prendre la parole fréquemment dans des présentations parrainées par la Ouray County Historical Society, la Telluride Historical Society, la Montrose County Historical Society, les Conventions nationales de jauge étroite et le parc d'État de Ridgway. Les membres écrivent des articles bimensuels sur l'histoire des chemins de fer pour le Ouray County Plaindealer et le Soleil de Ridgway journaux ainsi que le bulletin mensuel du musée. À ce jour, près de 1 000 enfants des comtés d'Ouray, de San Miguel et de Montrose ont reçu un enseignement soit au musée, soit lors de visites en classe. Nous avons développé des cours qui fonctionnent avec l'unité d'histoire du Colorado mandatée par l'État et enseignés en 3e ou 4e année et sommes des visiteurs annuels dans plusieurs écoles.

La recherche et l'organisation des informations RGS dans une base de données utilisable est un objectif permanent du Musée. Initialement, en utilisant les matériaux que Bob Richardson a sauvés ainsi que d'autres dons, nous avons commencé à rassembler des faits dans des sujets de recherche tels qu'une liste des retards de train RGS, l'identification de tous les moteurs RGS et les communications par télégramme. L'un de nos plus grands projets à ce jour a été la compilation des employés de RGS, en les identifiant par nom, poste, salaire, années de service et où se trouvent les informations du Musée les concernant. Il y a actuellement plus de 2000 individus identifiés. Les informations sont disponibles sur ce site et au musée lui-même.

Au printemps 2008, le Colorado Railroad Museum à Golden a fait don de nombreuses boîtes de ressources papier supplémentaires sur le RGS. Les documents allaient des dossiers personnels aux registres de train, aux chèques annulés, à la correspondance concernant les achats et les expéditions. Depuis lors, les membres du Musée ont passé des centaines d'heures à parcourir chaque boîte, à identifier ce qu'elles contiennent, à secouer la saleté et à les remettre dans un nouvel emballage si nécessaire. Les informations recueillies en parcourant les documents ont déjà fourni de nombreux articles récents dans les journaux et les bulletins d'information du Musée. La liste des employés de RGS s'est considérablement allongée au fur et à mesure que nous découvrons régulièrement de nouveaux membres du personnel ou davantage de faits sur ceux précédemment identifiés.

Notre prochain objectif est de combiner nos ressources afin que l'information soit dans un format rapidement accessible. Les chèques doivent aller ensemble dans l'ordre chronologique. La correspondance doit être facilement identifiée par année, emplacement sur le chemin de fer ou auteur. Ces précieux documents, dont certains ont bien plus de 100 ans, doivent être conservés de manière à les conserver en bon état pendant encore 100 ans. Lorsque nous recevons des demandes de copies de documents concernant une personne en particulier, nous devons pouvoir accéder à ces documents avec une certaine facilité et répondre à cette demande. Le Musée répond également aux demandes d'informations de la communauté des chemins de fer miniatures.

Ridgway était l'endroit où le Rio Grande Southern a commencé son voyage en amont et au-dessus de Dallas Divide pour desservir les communautés minières de Telluride, Ophir et Rico et jusqu'à Durango, fournissant un lien vers deux sections du Denver et du Rio Grande. Ridgway a assuré l'entretien des moteurs dans sa rotonde et a fourni les bureaux pour mener les activités quotidiennes. Il est approprié que le Ridgway Railroad Museum abrite également maintenant certaines des informations historiques qui documentent l'ascension et la chute du Rio Grande Southern. En onze ans à peine, le musée a développé une feuille de route éprouvée (sans jeu de mots) qui montre que non seulement il valorise la préservation des chemins de fer, mais qu'il y contribue également de manière compétente.

Ridgway a été le point de départ du rêve d'Otto Mear. Un musée du chemin de fer de Ridgway était la prévoyance de Bob Richardson lorsqu'il a laissé ces premières boîtes en lieu sûr. Dans le cadre de l'histoire de Western Slope, Ridgway sera toujours le siège du Rio Grande Southern Railroad. En partenariat avec le Colorado Railroad Museum, il maintiendra également ces deux visions pour les générations futures.


Accès aux images numériques page d'accueil

Collection D 002 .01 : Morris San Juan Mountain villes photographies
Collection D 002 .02 : Photographies d'Andrew Gulliford La Ventana (Colorado)
Collection D 002 .04 : Photographies de E. A. Wilder Durango, Rico et Eureka (Colorado)
Collecte D 002 .05 : Photographies Lechner / Moss / Greenfield (Rockwood, Colorado)
Collection D 003 : Photos de construction du barrage de Vallecito, 1938-1940 (comté de La Plata, Colorado)
Collecte D 002.07 : Photographies de la famille Werito Eastern Navajo (comprend des vues au pensionnat du Bureau of Indian Affairs à Ignacio, Colorado)
Collection M 028, Groupe d'enregistrement 18 : Juges du comté de La Plata (Colombie)

Des sons: Le Center of Southwest Studies, en collaboration avec le Collaborative Digitization Program, a donné accès à plus de 73 heures de sons enregistrés à partir des collections spéciales.

Guides pédagogiques numériques en ligne aux collections du Centre d'études du Sud-Ouest :
Composants éducatifs K-12 : Guide d'activités musée/archives/bibliothèque

Le tableau suivant fournit des liens vers des pages Web relatives aux images numériques en général :

Collection F 021 : La Collection Durango

Il s'agit d'une collection textile historique d'environ 150 articles qui ont été soigneusement compilés sur plusieurs décennies par feu Jackson Clark et Mark Winter et Richard et Mary Lyn Ballantine. Cliquez ici pour plus d'informations sur l'achat de belles cartes de correspondance en couleur, d'affiches et d'impressions encadrées d'articles de la Collection Durango . Le Center of Southwest Studies a fourni un accès numérique à ces articles en utilisant les photographies existantes des textiles inventoriés. La collection est organisée dans les huit catégories suivantes :

Archéologique/ Divers , vers l'an 800 à 1920 Classique Navajo, 1750-1875
Serape/ Saltillo Serape , 1750-1940 Historique/ Transitionnel , 1870-19 35
Rio Grande, 1800-1920 Régional Navajo, 1900-1935
Pueblo, 1850-1950 Navajo Contemporain, 1960-actuel

Collection F 014 : Textiles du Sud-Ouest ( autre que le Collection Durango )

Il s'agit d'une collection de plus de 100 textiles tissés dans le sud-ouest des États-Unis par des Indiens Navajo, des hispano-américains et d'autres. Chaque pièce a été inventoriée et est cataloguée en ligne. Au cours du processus d'inventaire du Centre dans les années 1990, le personnel a pris des photos Polaroid de chaque article, que nous avons numérisées pour améliorer l'accès à ces objets (qui sont maintenant tous stockés dans un entrepôt de conservation enroulé), dont beaucoup sont volumineux et lourds et donc encombrants à voir réellement. Certains de ces textiles sont également décrits et dessinés dans un registre de description des textiles (pas encore numérisé) qui a été produit par Homer Root au Center of Southwest Studies il y a plusieurs décennies. Cliquez ici pour commencer à visualiser les images de ces textiles.

Collection M 124 : registres d'adhésion d'Homer Root décrivant les objets du musée du Fort Lewis College (Center of Southwest Studies) Cliquez ici pour lire ce que M. Root pensait de son travail lorsqu'il a terminé de dessiner dans le cinquième livre au début de 1969.

Le Center of Southwest Studies a numérisé chaque page des cinq registres d'accession aux artefacts du Fort Lewis College soigneusement dessinés (vers 1958-1968) décrivant les artefacts (y compris les céramiques anciennes et les textiles classiques) qu'Homer Root a conservés dans l'ancien Fort Lewis College. musée. Chacun des cinq volumes contient environ 300 pages de textes manuscrits et de dessins en couleurs, pour un total estimé à 1 500 images.

M. Root a fait, en effet, pour l'ère pré-informatique ce que le Colorado Digitization Project s'efforce de réaliser pour l'ère du World Wide Web : améliorer l'accès à une grande variété d'éléments de collection par une combinaison de texte et d'images qui sont liés de manière à présenter les fonds de la collection dans leur contexte. Les défis ici étaient le problème physique de savoir comment numériser en toute sécurité une page de 13,75" de haut x 10,5" dans un volume relié en cuir que nous ne pouvions pas délier et comment faire face au problème d'accès intellectuel de présenter ces images d'une manière qui préserve l'unité de tout le volume. C'était le même défi que M. Root a décrit à la fin du volume 5 -- pour lui, la difficulté était de produire des dessins à l'huile et des entrées sans erreur sur les pages de ces volumes reliés. Pour préserver l'accès aux registres dans leur intégralité, nous avons décidé de numériser chaque page contenant des entrées. Toutes les pages ne contiennent pas de dessins, certaines pages ne contiennent que le texte manuscrit de M. Root, à l'encre bleue avec ses notes occasionnelles à l'encre rouge de la disposition de l'institution de l'élément décrit.

Collection M 088 : Journaux du Sud-Ouest

Le Center of Southwest Studies possède la collection de journaux la plus complète pour la région des quatre coins (en d'autres termes, les parties contiguës des quatre États voisins du Colorado, du Nouveau-Mexique, de l'Arizona et de l'Utah). Ces documents sont en copie papier originale (journal) et/ou sur des rouleaux de microfilm. Consultez les inventaires en ligne pour une liste détaillée de ces journaux géographiquement et par titre.

Le programme de numérisation collaborative a donné accès à deux des premiers journaux de Durango, le Démocrate de Durango et le Salarié de Durango. Pour les consulter en ligne, rendez-vous sur www.ColoradoHistoricNewspapers.org -- le programme de numérisation du Colorado Collection de journaux historiques du Colorado de plusieurs centaines de milliers de pages des premiers journaux du Colorado vers 1859-1923. Dans l'onglet "Rechercher tout", saisissez un terme de recherche et tout autre paramètre pour affiner votre recherche .

Le Centre du Sud-Ouest produit des images numériques de ses propres fonds papier à la demande des chercheurs qui paient pour ce service. Cliquez ici pour voir les débuts de ce projet : page 2 du 23 juin 1960 Étoile du bassin peu de temps après que le Parti démocrate du Colorado eut tenu sa convention à Durango.

Collection M 194 : La collection Nina Heald Webber Southwest Colorado : cartes postales
Cartes postales historiques de la région des quatre coins du sud-ouest du Colorado.
Plus de 3 200 cartes postales, la plupart affichées en ligne, montrant les deux faces.

Volume 1
Durango, ancien (pas d'épreuves chromalithiques)
2ieme volume
Durango, plus tard, et les chemins de fer régionaux
(impressions chromalithiques)
Tome 3
Mesa Verde et ruines aztèques (N.M.)
Tome 4
Silverton/ Million Dollar Highway/ Animas Canyon
Tome 5
Telluride/ Rico/
Ouray/ Ophir
Tome 6
Mancos, Cortez et autres Sud-Ouest
régions du Colorado

Que dois-je faire de mon posséder collection de vieilles cartes postales du Sud-Ouest ? En raison de la publication du Échantillonneur San Juan : Sélections de la collection de cartes postales Nina Heald Webber (Durango, Colorado : Durango Herald Small Press, 2004), le Centre reçoit des demandes de renseignements. Voici une suggestion :

E-Bay peut être une excellente ressource pour vous, à la fois pour voir à quels types de cartes postales se vendent et pour vous permettre de vendre la vôtre sur le Web. Vendre le vôtre peut être plus que ce que vous souhaitez assumer, en particulier pour un nombre relativement petit d'articles. Peut-être seriez-vous intéressé à les donner au Center of Southwest Studies (s'ils correspondent à l'objectif de la collection Four Corners du Centre et si le Centre ne les a pas déjà dans ses collections). De cette façon, vous pourriez être assuré que vos cartes seraient appréciées et préservées, et vous pourriez demander un crédit d'impôt sur votre déclaration de revenus pour la valeur marchande des cartes données. Des informations sur les dons au Centre se trouvent sur le Web à l'adresse http://swcenter.fortlewis.edu/Info_for_Donors.htm Après avoir signé l'acte de donation, la Fort Lewis College Foundation vous enverra une reconnaissance écrite du don. Pour plus de détails sur cette possibilité, veuillez contacter l'archiviste .

Remarque : la collection Nina Heald Webber du sud-ouest du Colorado comprend également un certain nombre de photographies anciennes de la région. L'un d'eux est cette image du Durango Wheel Club à Baker's Bridge, près de Trimble Hot Springs dans la vallée d'Animas au nord de Durango, en 1895.

Collection P 001 : Collection générale de photographies
[Remarque : beaucoup de ces articles ne sont pas encore disponibles sous forme numérique, mais sont disponibles dans leur format photographique d'origine]

Cette collection est organisée en grandes catégories de sujets, indiquées ci-dessous. Ces catégories ont été établies avant les années 1980 par Robert W. Delaney, le premier directeur du Center of Southwest Studies. À cette époque, les concepts modernes de provenance et d'ordre d'origine n'étaient pas largement pratiqués, et cette collection a donc été établie en fusionnant des tirages photographiques de n'importe quelle source en un seul arrangement catégorisé. Nous avons sélectionné pour la numérisation les tirages photo les plus proches de la région de Durango. Le Centre a choisi ses photos pour ce projet en partie en raison des problèmes de conservation auxquels elles sont confrontées. Il y a plusieurs décennies, les tirages photo étaient collés sur des pages de papier cartonné acide à l'aide de ciment en caoutchouc. Le Centre produit un négatif photographique maître de chaque image lorsqu'un chercheur demande d'abord une copie photo de l'image.

Collection P 008 : Collection Ansel Hall

Cette collection comprend env. 5 000 tirages photo, pris entre 1920 et 1938. Le Center of Southwest Studies a fourni un accès numérique aux pages de photos dans neuf albums documentant les expéditions Rainbow Bridge-Monument Valley d'Ansel Hall de 1933 à 1934 (environ 2 000 photographies en noir et blanc aux tons sépia). Ces photos présentent la première vision d'un pionnier anglo de la vie indigène amérindienne dans la région de Four Corners. Les photos montrent les jeunes hommes blancs qui ont participé à cette expédition (financée par la Ford Motor Company), et elles montrent également des Amérindiens dans des décors pré-occidentaux.

Ansel Hall (1894-1962) a probablement contribué plus que tout autre individu à la formation et à la croissance initiale du travail d'interprétation du National Park Service. Il a quitté le Service des parcs en 1938 pour exploiter les concessions du parc national de Mesa Verde. Le Centre a choisi ces pages d'album photo pour la numérisation en raison de leur importance nationale et des problèmes de conservation auxquels elles sont confrontées. Il y a plusieurs décennies, les photos de Rainbow Bridge étaient collées sur des pages acides à l'aide de ciment en caoutchouc. Au fur et à mesure que ces photos tombaient, il y avait un risque de perdre les descriptions d'identification qui étaient écrites sur ces pages. Le reste de cette collection a été reconditionné d'archives.

Présentation des albums photo et points d'entrée de l'expédition Rainbow Bridge-Monument Valley :

Vol. 1 Photos par Robert B. Branstead , commence par la page 7 (nous n'avons pas scanné les pages précédentes, qui étaient collées ensemble à cause des dégâts des eaux) jusqu'à la page 98.

Vol. 2 Photos de Robert B. Branstead, continue du Vol. 1 avec avec la page 99 et passe par 168 (nous avons exclu les pages 169 et 170, qui étaient endommagées par l'eau et illisibles)

Vol. 3 Photos de Robert B. Branstead les pages n'étaient pas numérotées à l'origine nous avons numéroté les pages en commençant par la page 1 et en passant par la dernière page [82].

Vol. 4 photos Leica de Clifford Bond , commence par une page d'introduction, puis les numéros de page 1 à 106.

Vol. 6 Photos aériennes de Thorn L. Mayes , commence à la page 491 et se termine à la page 629. Thorn Mayes « a dirigé les efforts de cartographie des expéditions. Sa photographie aérienne était une innovation aussi importante que la photographie du Grand Canyon par Robert Brewster Stanton lors de l'arpentage de son itinéraire potentiel pour une ligne de chemin de fer. Université d'État de Californie, Sacramento)

Vol. 7 photos de Clifford Bond en date du 23/10/1934 les pages n'étaient pas numérotées à l'origine nous avons numéroté les pages, en commençant par la page 1 et en passant par la dernière page (82).

Vol. 8 photos Leica par Clifford Bo sd en date du 19/10/1934 les pages n'étaient pas numérotées à l'origine nous avons numéroté les pages, en commençant par la page [0] et en passant par la dernière page (91).

Vol. 9 Photos de [Grace?] Hoover, 1934, pages non numérotées nous avons numéroté les pages, en commençant par la page #1 et en passant par la dernière page

Vol. 12 Photos aériennes par Ansel Hall, 1934, pages non numérotées les pages sont numérotées par le Center of Southwest Studies en commençant par la page #2 et en passant par la dernière page.

Collection P 026 : photographies du Rio Grande Southern Railroad

Ce chemin de fer à voie étroite allait de Durango à Hesperus, Mancos, Dolores, Rico, Telluride et Ridgway où il rejoignait le Denver & Rio Grande Railroad. Nous avons produit des images d'accès numérique de 188 tirages photographiques (c'est-à-dire le contenu du premier des deux coffrets de tirages photographiques de cette collection P 026) -- qui sont toutes les photos de cette collection qui montrent des scènes le long de la route de 163 milles de le RGS. Ces tirages photo ont été donnés au Center of Southwest Studies par Alfred G. Chione, M.D. de l'Illinois (accession #1968:02009). Le Dr Chione a pris lui-même la plupart des photos, vers 1949-1952.

Collection P 042 : Walker Art Studio (Montrose, Colorado) Photonégatifs historiques du sud-ouest du Colorado

Le Centre a produit des images d'accès numérique de 483 négatifs sur plaque de verre sélectionnés dans la collection Walker Art Studio (Montrose, Colorado) (produite par ce studio et d'autres studios photographiques de cette région) que le Center of Southwest Studies a acheté en 1999 et 2000. A véritable trésor de vues du début du 20e siècle, dont beaucoup ont été identifiées, ces photographies en voie de disparition offrent des vues jusqu'alors rarement vues de la région des Four Corners.

L'ensemble de la collection (composée des acquisitions 1999 : 10015 et 2000 : 05005) comprend environ 5 000 négatifs sur plaque de verre et nitrate de cellulose, la plupart sans tirages correspondants, la plupart d'entre eux pris entre 1920 et 1938. La collection a été achetée en masse par Fort Lewis College (grâce à un financement de la Fort Lewis College Foundation) à un prix réduit de Main Street Photo à Montrose, Colorado, par l'intermédiaire de l'agence du professeur d'histoire / Southwest Studies du Fort Lewis College et historien du Colorado, Duane Smith, qui s'est rendu au studio et a été autorisé à apporter toutes les photos existantes au Centre. Le Centre a choisi les plaques de verre pour son projet de numérisation en partie en raison des problèmes de conservation auxquels elles sont confrontées en tant que plaques de verre fragiles et en raison du volume élevé d'utilisation qu'elles peuvent recevoir. Le Centre a relogé les plaques de verre de manière archivistique et a séparé les négatifs en nitrate de cellulose, qui sont maintenant stockés hors site en attendant le reformatage dans un support plus stable.

Collection P 049 : photographies d'Alton H. Blackington Southwest

Cette collection se compose de plaques de verre, de transparents en film de nitrate de cellulose et de quelques diapositives. La plupart datent du milieu des années 1930. La plupart des quelque 430 images de cette collection ont été numérisées pour un accès en ligne. Certains (en particulier ceux qui montrent des vues antérieures aux années 1930) sont des photographies de photographies. Cette collection est utile à toute personne faisant des recherches sur l'histoire de ces sujets du Sud-Ouest, aux professeurs et étudiants à la recherche de matériel visuel pour l'enseignement en classe, et aux personnes à la recherche de représentations souvent insaisissables de scènes de la vie quotidienne au cours de cette période. La taille de la plupart est de 4x5” (certains sont légèrement plus petits). Les sujets incluent Mesa Verde, Taos, Taos Pueblo, Acoma Pueblo, Carlsbad Caverns, Penitentes, et les Indiens et les scènes du sud-ouest. Les photos semblent avoir été compilées et étiquetées par Alton Hall Blackington, qui a évidemment pris une partie ou la plupart des images. Il semble que M. Blackington ait compilé ces photos pour une utilisation dans son émission-conférence itinérante intitulée "Turquoise Truths", que sa brochure décrivait comme "Un voyage photographique de 10 000 milles à travers les canyons et les déserts de notre glorieux Sud-Ouest". Hopis et Navajos. Cavernes de Carlsbad. Taos, Grand Canyon. « Cité céleste d'Acoma ». »

Collection P 051 : Photographies de la collection indienne Tom O. et H. Lucille Kimball

Cette collection se compose de 39 images photographiques historiques d'Amérindiens du Sud-Ouest (dont 16 photos des studios Pennington de Durango, Colorado, et 1 de Matthew Brady) et de Mesa Verde. La plupart de ces photos ont été données au Center of Southwest Studies grâce à des dons de Dustin Kimball en avril et mai 2003, d'autres ont été prêtées au Centre par lui pour reproduction, y compris la numérisation pour un accès en ligne.


Faire ses propres recherches : Cette description d'une partie des collections du Fort Lewis College Center of Southwest Studies est fournie pour informer les parties intéressées de la nature et de la profondeur des collections du dépôt. Il ne peut pas remplacer une visite au dépôt pour ceux qui ont des intérêts de recherche substantiels dans les collections.

Ce recueil est situé au Center of Southwest Studies sur le campus de Fort Lewis College. Les chercheurs souhaitant plus d'informations sur l'utilisation de ce matériel à la bibliothèque de recherche Delaney Southwest du Centre peuvent envoyer un courrier électronique à l'archiviste à l'adresse [email protected] ou cliquez ici pour utiliser notre formulaire de demande de référence par e-mail (ou téléphonez à l'archiviste au 970/247-7126). Le Centre n'a pas de budget pour les appels téléphoniques interurbains sortants pour répondre aux demandes de références, veuillez donc envoyer un courriel si vous souhaitez recevoir une réponse du Centre. Pour demander des reproductions/copies, cliquez ici pour obtenir des instructions.


Photo, impression, dessin Locomotive de remplissage avec de l'eau à la gare, Montrose, Colorado

Le contenu des négatifs en noir et blanc de la Farm Security Administration/Office of War Information de la Bibliothèque du Congrès est dans le domaine public et est libre d'utilisation et de réutilisation.

Ligne de crédit : Bibliothèque du Congrès, Division des impressions et des photographies, Farm Security Administration/Office of War Information Négatifs en noir et blanc.

Pour plus d'informations sur la reproduction, la publication et la citation de documents de cette collection, ainsi que sur l'accès aux éléments originaux, voir : U.S. Farm Security Administration/Office of War Information Black & White Photographs - Rights and Restrictions Information

Pour obtenir des conseils sur la compilation de citations complètes, consultez Citing Primary Sources.

  • Avis sur les droits: Aucune restriction connue. Pour plus d'informations, voir US Farm Security Administration/Office of War Information Black & White Photographs https://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/071_fsab.html
  • Numéro de reproduction: LC-USF33-012886-M1 (film n&w nitrate nég.) LC-DIG-fsa-8a29387 (fichier numérique à partir de l'original nég.)
  • Numéro de téléphone: LC-USF33-012886-M1 [P&P] LOT 649 (Possible groupe d'images associé)
  • Avis d'accès: ---

Obtention de copies

Si une image s'affiche, vous pouvez la télécharger vous-même. (Certaines images ne s'affichent que sous forme de vignettes en dehors de la Bibliothèque du Congrès pour des raisons de droits, mais vous avez accès à des images de plus grande taille sur place.)

Alternativement, vous pouvez acheter des copies de différents types via les services de duplication de la Bibliothèque du Congrès.

  1. Si une image numérique s'affiche : Les qualités de l'image numérique dépendent en partie du fait qu'elle a été réalisée à partir de l'original ou d'un intermédiaire tel qu'un négatif de copie ou un transparent. Si le champ Numéro de reproduction ci-dessus comprend un numéro de reproduction commençant par LC-DIG. puis il y a une image numérique qui a été faite directement à partir de l'original et qui est d'une résolution suffisante pour la plupart des fins de publication.
  2. Si des informations sont répertoriées dans le champ Numéro de reproduction ci-dessus : Vous pouvez utiliser le numéro de reproduction pour acheter une copie auprès de Duplication Services. Il sera fait à partir de la source indiquée entre parenthèses après le numéro.

Si seules les sources en noir et blanc ("b&w") sont répertoriées et que vous désirez une copie montrant la couleur ou la teinte (en supposant que l'original en ait une), vous pouvez généralement acheter une copie de qualité de l'original en couleur en citant le numéro d'appel indiqué ci-dessus et y compris la notice du catalogue (« À propos de cet article ») avec votre demande.

Les listes de prix, les coordonnées et les formulaires de commande sont disponibles sur le site Web de Duplication Services.

Accès aux originaux

Veuillez suivre les étapes suivantes pour déterminer si vous devez remplir un bordereau d'appel dans la salle de lecture des estampes et photographies pour voir le ou les éléments originaux. Dans certains cas, un substitut (image de substitution) est disponible, souvent sous la forme d'une image numérique, d'une copie imprimée ou d'un microfilm.

L'article est-il numérisé ? (Une image miniature (petite) sera visible sur la gauche.)

  • Oui, l'article est numérisé. Veuillez utiliser l'image numérique de préférence à demander l'original. Toutes les images peuvent être visualisées en grand format lorsque vous vous trouvez dans n'importe quelle salle de lecture de la Bibliothèque du Congrès. Dans certains cas, seules les images miniatures (petites) sont disponibles lorsque vous êtes en dehors de la Bibliothèque du Congrès, car l'élément est soumis à des droits limités ou n'a pas été évalué pour les restrictions de droits.
    Par mesure de conservation, nous ne servons généralement pas un article original lorsqu'une image numérique est disponible. Si vous avez une raison impérieuse de voir l'original, consultez un bibliothécaire de référence. (Parfois, l'original est tout simplement trop fragile pour être utilisé. Par exemple, les négatifs photographiques sur verre et sur pellicule sont particulièrement susceptibles d'être endommagés. Ils sont également plus faciles à voir en ligne lorsqu'ils sont présentés comme des images positives.)
  • Non, l'article n'est pas numérisé. Veuillez aller au #2.

Les champs Access Advisory ou Call Number ci-dessus indiquent-ils qu'il existe un substitut non numérique, tel que des microfilms ou des copies ?

  • Oui, un autre substitut existe. Le personnel de référence peut vous diriger vers cette mère porteuse.
  • Non, une autre mère porteuse n'existe pas. Veuillez aller au #3.

Pour contacter le personnel de référence dans la salle de lecture des estampes et photographies, veuillez utiliser notre service Ask A Librarian ou appelez la salle de lecture entre 8h30 et 17h00 au 202-707-6394, et appuyez sur 3.


Photo, impression, dessin Gare à Cimarron, Colorado

Le contenu des négatifs en noir et blanc de la Farm Security Administration/Office of War Information de la Bibliothèque du Congrès est dans le domaine public et est libre d'utilisation et de réutilisation.

Ligne de crédit : Bibliothèque du Congrès, Division des impressions et des photographies, Farm Security Administration/Office of War Information Négatifs en noir et blanc.

Pour plus d'informations sur la reproduction, la publication et la citation de documents de cette collection, ainsi que sur l'accès aux éléments originaux, voir : U.S. Farm Security Administration/Office of War Information Black & White Photographs - Rights and Restrictions Information

Pour obtenir des conseils sur la compilation de citations complètes, consultez Citing Primary Sources.

  • Avis sur les droits: Aucune restriction connue. Pour plus d'informations, voir US Farm Security Administration/Office of War Information Black & White Photographs https://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/071_fsab.html
  • Numéro de reproduction: LC-USF34-037556-D (film n&w nég.)
  • Numéro de téléphone: LC-USF34-037556-D [P&P] LOT 464 (tirage photographique correspondant)
  • Avis d'accès: ---

Obtention de copies

Si une image s'affiche, vous pouvez la télécharger vous-même. (Certaines images ne s'affichent que sous forme de vignettes en dehors de la Bibliothèque du Congrès pour des raisons de droits, mais vous avez accès à des images de plus grande taille sur place.)

Alternativement, vous pouvez acheter des copies de différents types via les services de duplication de la Bibliothèque du Congrès.

  1. Si une image numérique s'affiche : Les qualités de l'image numérique dépendent en partie du fait qu'elle a été réalisée à partir de l'original ou d'un intermédiaire tel qu'un négatif de copie ou un transparent. Si le champ Numéro de reproduction ci-dessus comprend un numéro de reproduction commençant par LC-DIG. puis il y a une image numérique qui a été faite directement à partir de l'original et qui est d'une résolution suffisante pour la plupart des fins de publication.
  2. Si des informations sont répertoriées dans le champ Numéro de reproduction ci-dessus : Vous pouvez utiliser le numéro de reproduction pour acheter une copie auprès de Duplication Services. Il sera fait à partir de la source indiquée entre parenthèses après le numéro.

Si seules les sources en noir et blanc ("b&w") sont répertoriées et que vous désirez une copie montrant la couleur ou la teinte (en supposant que l'original en ait une), vous pouvez généralement acheter une copie de qualité de l'original en couleur en citant le numéro d'appel indiqué ci-dessus et y compris la notice du catalogue (« À propos de cet article ») avec votre demande.

Les listes de prix, les coordonnées et les formulaires de commande sont disponibles sur le site Web de Duplication Services.

Accès aux originaux

Veuillez suivre les étapes suivantes pour déterminer si vous devez remplir un bordereau d'appel dans la salle de lecture des estampes et photographies pour voir le ou les éléments originaux. Dans certains cas, un substitut (image de substitution) est disponible, souvent sous la forme d'une image numérique, d'une copie imprimée ou d'un microfilm.

L'article est-il numérisé ? (Une image miniature (petite) sera visible sur la gauche.)

  • Oui, l'article est numérisé. Veuillez utiliser l'image numérique de préférence à demander l'original. Toutes les images peuvent être visualisées en grand format lorsque vous vous trouvez dans n'importe quelle salle de lecture de la Bibliothèque du Congrès. Dans certains cas, seules les images miniatures (petites) sont disponibles lorsque vous êtes en dehors de la Bibliothèque du Congrès, car l'élément est soumis à des droits limités ou n'a pas été évalué pour les restrictions de droits.
    Par mesure de conservation, nous ne servons généralement pas un article original lorsqu'une image numérique est disponible. Si vous avez une raison impérieuse de voir l'original, consultez un bibliothécaire de référence. (Parfois, l'original est tout simplement trop fragile pour être utilisé. Par exemple, les négatifs photographiques sur verre et sur pellicule sont particulièrement susceptibles d'être endommagés. Ils sont également plus faciles à voir en ligne lorsqu'ils sont présentés comme des images positives.)
  • Non, l'article n'est pas numérisé. Veuillez aller au #2.

Les champs Access Advisory ou Call Number ci-dessus indiquent-ils qu'un substitut non numérique existe, tel que des microfilms ou des copies ?

  • Oui, un autre substitut existe. Le personnel de référence peut vous diriger vers cette mère porteuse.
  • No, another surrogate does not exist. Please go to #3.

To contact Reference staff in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room, please use our Ask A Librarian service or call the reading room between 8:30 and 5:00 at 202-707-6394, and Press 3.


Histoire

The Denver & Rio Grande Railway, brainchild of Civil War veteran General William Jackson Palmer, was incorporated by Palmer and his associates on Oct. 12, 1870. Palmer intended to provide a north-south link between the major transcontinental railroads that passed north and south of Colorado. The first trip on the line occurred Oct. 26, 1871, and took passengers (primarily local newspapermen) from Denver to Colorado Springs. While the original plan was to build south to El Paso, Texas, circumstances soon turned the line westward. The Denver & Rio Grande never reached farther south than northern New Mexico.

As the D&RG Railway expanded westward, it ran into conflicts with other railroads that also wanted to build in the lucrative mining regions of the Rocky Mountains. The Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad was particularly aggressive in this area. A quarrel over the right-of-way through the Royal Gorge escalated into a “war” in 1878 and was not settled by the courts (in favor of the D&RG) until 1880.

In the summer of 1881, in order to facilitate the D&RG’s westward push, Palmer incorporated a new railway in Salt Lake City – the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railway. The two lines met near Green River, Utah in 1883. Around the same time, the D&RG Railway leased the tracks of the D&RGW Railway for thirty years. The lease, in conjunction with Palmer’s constant program of expansion (he feared other lines moving into D&RG territory), put the D&RG in a difficult financial situation. By the summer of 1883 the Board of Directors wanted Palmer out, and they asked for his resignation. He consented, but remained not only as president of the D&RGW Railway, but as a Director of the D&RG. He resigned his position as Director in June 1884 in the midst of a dispute between the two lines over the terms of the D&RG’s lease of the D&RGW tracks.

By July 1884, the D&RG’s financial condition was so poor it went into receivership. The court appointed William S. Jackson as receiver. Not long after Jackson took control of the D&RG, the D&RGW also found itself in receivership, with W.H. Bancroft as its receiver. Jackson’s management of the Denver company could not forestall the D&RG’s sale at foreclosure in 1886. British and American stockholders purchased the troubled line, incorporated it as the D&RG Railroad, and named Jackson as president. The courts released the D&RGW from its receivership in August of 1886, and Palmer resumed control of his railroad.

David H. Moffat, an important figure in the development of Colorado railroading, succeeded Jackson as D&RG president in 1887. He remained in that position until 1891, when he resigned in anger over criticism of his management of the line. During his term of office, the D&RG began to convert its main line tracks from narrow gauge to standard gauge. The D&RG also joined with the Colorado Midland to incorporate the Rio Grande Junction Railway for the purpose of building a line between Rifle and Grand Junction. After Moffat resigned, the Board appointed Edward T. Jeffery to head the company. He was immediately under pressure to make the D&RG profitable, and enable it to meet the interest payments on its bonds. Jeffery met the challenge, and by 1893 the road was in excellent financial condition. Thanks to his conservative policies the D&RG weathered the financial panic of 1893 relatively well.

In 1901 the D&RG purchased a controlling interest in the Rio Grande Western Railway (formerly the D&RGW, it reincorporated in 1889). In that same year General Palmer retired from the RGW, and George Gould (son of Jay) became Chairman of the Board of the D&RG. Competition from the Union Pacific in Utah (the UP tried to deny the D&RG any traffic) forced Gould to make plans to expand his line westward from Ogden, Utah.

To this end Gould and his associates incorporated the Western Pacific Railway in California in 1903, with E.T. Jeffery as its president. The birth of the WP marked the beginning of very difficult times for the D&RG. Three contracts between the D&RG/RGW and the WP obligated the D&RG system to bear the cost of constructing the WP (in the form of bonds), guarantee the semi-annual interest on 30-year 5% gold bonds, and to honor a traffic agreement. In addition, the RGW was to pay any construction cost overruns.

The burden placed upon the D&RG by the contracts with the WP was almost unbearable. By 1913 the Boards of Directors of the D&RG, WP and Missouri Pacific (many of the members served on more than one of the boards) began to discuss the D&RG’s plight. The discussions and the continuing financial difficulties of the D&RG led to court battles with the Equitable Trust Co. (which brought suit against the D&RG for non-payment of debts) and a reorganization plan for the WP. In July 1916 the WP Railway was sold to stockholders and reorganized as the Western Pacific Railroad Company.

The D&RG lost the case with the Equitable Trust Co. in August of 1917. The court determined the railroad owed Equitable $38 million. The D&RG did not have that much money on hand, but did have some assets in the form of cash, stocks, and bonds. The Equitable Co. sued in New York and Chicago courts to obtain some payment on the $38 million owed to it, and in 1918 was awarded over $6.5 million of the D&RG’s assets. Another $4 million was handed to the Equitable Co. when the shares of the Utah Fuel Co., a D&RG subsidiary, were sold at a public auction and the proceeds applied toward the judgment against the D&RG.

This strangulation of the railroad left it with only one option – yet another receivership. To forestall the Equitable Co. from asking for a receivership on terms favorable to it, the D&RG turned to a minor creditor, the Elliot Frog & Switch Co., and asked it to initiate receivership proceedings. Equitable’s lawyers tried to stop this in court, but were denied.

In January 1918 the court appointed Edward L. Brown and Alexander R. Baldwin (a vice-president of the WP) as co-receivers. World War I, which the U.S. entered in 1917, complicated the receivership and Equitable’s continuing efforts to collect on the judgment awarded to it. All railroads in the country were under the control of the U.S. Railroad Administration, headed by Director General William G. McAdoo, from 1917 to 1920. McAdoo temporarily blocked the Equitable’s efforts, but in May of 1918 Judge Sanborn ruled that the D&RG must pay $3.6 million of its debts. The money came from the sale securities, cash in the bank, and $1.5 million contributed by the government for its use of the railroad. When the Railroad Administration ended its control of the country’s railroads in the spring of 1920, the D&RG was still in receivership.

The receivership did not improve the financial condition of the D&RG, and by the fall of 1920 the company’s creditors once again forced it onto the auction block. On Nov. 20, 1920 the D&RG was sold for $5 million, and on Nov. 30 the new owners incorporated the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad. Angry stockholders of the old company, who received nothing from the new D&RGW, held up the court’s confirmation of the sale for several months, but on Mar. 28, 1921 the court confirmed the sale. Serious financial problems, some caused by the devastating Pueblo flood in June of 1921, continued to plague the D&RGW, and by the summer of 1922, the Banker’s Trust Co. of New York and the New York Trust Co. instituted new foreclosure proceedings, based on the D&RGW’s failure to meet the interest payments on its bonds.

Federal judges Robert E. Lewis and J. Foster Symes named Joseph H. Young, president of the D&RGW, as receiver in July 1922 over the protests of the New York and Banker’s Trust companies, In addition, Judge Lewis further frustrated the bondholders by ordering Young to improve the condition of the D&RGW:

"It is common knowledge that the road is badly out of repair. When the case came into this court before, at the time of the forming of the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad out of the old Denver company, the railroad conditions were promising. The Western Pacific company took the road over, but they have done little with it. The present owners have not seen fit to keep it in condition, and when it comes into this court we shall see that it is put in condition and we shall see that done before it is turned back to the owners. Furthermore, it will be the policy of this court that no interest shall be paid on the bonds of the road until it is completely rehabilitated and the public thus safeguarded." ( Nouvelles des Rocheuses, July 22, 1922).

As ordered by the Judge, receiver Young spent millions on upgrading the D&RGW, particularly the rails and rolling stock.

Even with the court-ordered improvements proceeding, the future of the D&RGW looked uncertain. In 1923 – 1924, the Missouri Pacific and the Western Pacific tried to absorb the smaller line, but these efforts drew protests from those bondholders who feared they would be wiped out as had the stockholders of the D&RG in 1920. In Dec.1923, the Interstate Commerce Commission approved a reorganization plan for the D&RGW, and in Oct. 1924 the D&RGW was sold to the reorganization managers – Kuhn, Loeb & Co. and Equitable Trust Co. The new D&RGW president was J.S. Pyeatt.

Over the next ten years the two major events for the D&RGW were the construction of the Moffat Tunnel in 1927 and the completion of the Dotsero Cut-off in 1934. The Moffat Tunnel, running under James Peak in northwestern Colorado, was named for the man whose dream it was – David H. Moffat. Moffat spent many years and a considerable portion of his personal fortune on the tunnel dream, but to no avail. Over a decade of failed efforts by Colorado business and political leaders to get construction financed and started followed Moffat’s death in 1911. Construction actually began in 1923 and was completed in 1927. Like the Moffat Tunnel, the completion of the Dotsero Cut-off in 1934 came only after years of legal battles and financial problems. Despite the opening of the cut-off the D&RGW’s financial woes worsened, due in no small part to the Depression. Thus in 1935 the D&RGW was once again in court, petitioning for reorganization under the Federal Bankruptcy Act. The U.S. District Court appointed Wilson McCarthy and Henry Swan as co-trustees. The two men, with the approval of Judge Symes, formulated a multi-million dollar improvement plan. In 1937 alone the two men spent $18 million on the company. By the end of 1939 the railroad’s fortunes had turned around to a remarkable degree. The D&RGW’s revenues continued to climb in the 1940s, particularly after the U.S. entered World War II in Dec. 1941.

In April 1947 the trusteeship of Swan and McCarthy ended and the D&RGW returned to private ownership under an ICC-approved reorganization plan. The plan was opposed, unsuccessfully, by the Missouri Pacific and the Western Pacific all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court. The reorganization committee, headed by John Evans, elected a new Board of Directors with Evans as its chairman. The Board selected Wilson McCarthy as the president of the D&RGW.

In the post-war years passenger traffic declined on the line but freight traffic grew, thanks in part to McCarthy’s policy of encouraging industrial and agricultural development in Rio Grande territory. McCarthy provided strong leadership of the D&RGW until his death in 1956. Gale B. “Gus” Aydelott succeeded him in the presidency, and continued many of McCarthy’s forward-looking policies, especially that of improving the line. While Aydelott’s improvement program included attempts to reduce or eliminate passenger service on unprofitable runs, it also included technical advances in communications, locomotives and other areas. ( This historical outline of the D&RGW was chiefly drawn from Robert G. Athearn’s Rebel of the Rockies: The Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad. Yale University Press, 1962).

In 1969 the D&RGW formed Rio Grande Industries, Inc., a holding company designed to diversify and expand the company into other fields. In 1970 the various activities of RGI included real estate development, industrial contracting and insurance, but the railroad continued to produce the majority of RGI’s annual income, most of it from freight revenues. The 1960s and 1970s saw a steady downward trend in passenger traffic on all railroads. By 1970 the D&RGW had virtually abandoned passenger traffic, with the exception of a thrice-weekly run from Denver to Salt Lake on the Rio Grande Zephyr, formerly the California Zephyr. Competition from the airlines and the rapid growth in the number of private cars resulted in many passenger trains operating at a loss. The D&RGW retired the Rio Grande Zephyr in April 1983, and Amtrak took over the running of passenger trains over the Rio Grande route. (Denver Post Empire Magazine, Oct 25, 1970, p. 13 Green Light, summer 1983, p. 12).

By the time W. J. “Bill” Holtman succeeded Aydelott as President of the D&RGW in 1977 (and as CEO in 1978) Aydelott had built up the railroad’s annual freight revenue to over $305 million, and won the admiration and respect of railroad men nationwide for the “tight ship” he ran. Aydelott retired as chairman of the railroad in 1983, and died in 1991. (Railway Age, Sept. 11, 1978, pp. 26-32 Denver Post, Feb. 16, 1991.)

Between 1984 and 1987 Denver businessman Philip F. Anschutz purchased enough of the D&RGW stock to become a majority owner, and the formerly publicly-held company went private. In 1988 Anschutz purchased nearly a third of the stock of the Southern Pacific railroad and merged the two lines to form the Southern Pacific Rail Corp. In 1995 Anschutz and Union Pacific officials agreed to a deal that would merge the two lines and restore the UP to its former status as North America’s largest rail company. Despite a great deal of opposition from various interest groups, including farmers and ranchers who feared decreases in service and increases in freight rates, the deal was approved by the Surface Transportation Board on July 3, 1996. (Denver Post, Aug. 8, 1995, p. 1D conversation with Harry Philips, retired Southern Pacific employee).

Author: Colleen P. Bradley, Project Archivist. July 1996. © Colorado Historical Society


Rio Grande Railroad Timetables (1952)

Interestingly, for the time being management elected not to continue towards Utah from this point but, instead, opted for a more southerly route.  The decision was driven primarily by additional coal traffic from mines located near Crested Butte.  At Salida, the rail-head was extended westward to Gunninson (1881) before it turned north from Montrose.

Rio Grande 4-8-4 #1804 with the eastbound "Royal Gorge" arriving in Salida, Colorado in 1950. Robert Le Massena photo.

This small town, which later became a junction for the Ouray Branch (completed in 1887 to serve silver mines), sat at about the midway point to Grand Junction (reached on November 22, 1882).ਊ month later, on December 19th, the railroad arrived at the state line but could build no further until corporate charters were received to enter Utah.

The "Ski Train"

One of the most unique services a private railroad ever offered was Rio Grande's "Ski Train."  It was launched in 1940 by subsidiary Denver & Salt Lake Railway, originally the Eskimo Ski Club's idea to whisk skiers from Denver to the slopes of Winter Park, a popular resort based in Grand County. 

It was canceled in 1941 due to World War II but reinstated under the D&RGW in 1947.  As its popularity grew, the railroad acquired eight heavyweight coaches (built in 1915) from Northern Pacific in 1960.  As time passed, the railroad tried numerous times to cancel the train due to rising costs. 

However, it continued to run and in 1984, new ownership under Philip Anschutz saw the purchase of updated equipment (second-hand cars from VIA Rail, originally built in 1968 by Hawker Siddeley).  The "Ski Train" also occasionally ran with much fancier stainless-steel, Budd-built cars from the popular California Zephyr (and later Rio Grande Zephyr). 

In 1988, Ansco Investment Company, acquired rights to the train which continued to see strong patronage during the next two decades.  Then, the service was suddenly canceled on March 29, 2009. 

Selon Trains Magazine's "Newswire," owner Philip Anschutz noted the rising insurance costs, operational issues in sharing the line with Union Pacific, and a weak economy led to the decision.  

In March of 2015, Amtrak and UP ran a one-day Winter Park Express ski train to celebrate the 75th anniversary of Winter Park. It quickly sold out and an additional service was hosted from from January through March 2017.  This was also successful and the carrier has announced an expanded service will offered through 2018.  

An A-B set of Rio Grande FT's act as helpers on a mixed freight near Leyden, Colorado during the 1950's. Photographer unknown.

To aid in this effort, an earlier charter known as the Sevier Valley Railway was acquired along with three other small short lines the Bingham Canyon & Camp Floyd (BC&CF), Wasatch & Jordan Valley (W&JV), and Utah & Pleasant Valley (U&PV).  All were originally built to serve either coal, silver, or copper mines situated south and east of Salt Lake City. 

The U&PV proved most important it had opened 55 miles between Springville and Scofield by November of 1879, which was extended further north to Provo in October of 1880.  When the D&RGW finished a disconnected segment between Provo and Salt Lake City it used part of the U&PV over Soldier Summit as part of its main line into Colorado.

Its first task was to improve the original U&PV alignment over the summit before completing the railroad to the state line on December 19, 1882.  Just a few months later, on May 12, 1883, a short branch was finished beyond Salt Lake City to Ogden which established a transcontinental connection with the Central Pacific/Southern Pacific.

After the "California Zephyr" was canceled the Rio Grande continued to operate the train as the "Rio Grande Zephyr," over its lines. It is seen here climbing Soldier Summit in Utah during July of 1974. Drew Jacksich photo.

It seems the Rio Grande was consistently caught up in one bureaucratic mess after another, a situation that persisted well into the 20th century.  Fighting with the Santa Fe had only been over for a few years when strained finances led to Palmer resigning the D&RG's presidency on August 9, 1883. 

Next, the work of converting the entire network to standard-gauge was carried out the main lineਏrom Ogden to Grand Junction was completed on June 11, 1890 with the branches finished the following year. 

One final, noteworthy expansion in Utah occurred about a decade later when the Manti Branch was continued down the Sevier River to Marysvale in 1900.

An A-B-B-A set of Rio Grande FT's lead a westbound freight extra near Leyden Junction, Colorado, while 2-8-8-2 #3617 (L-132) can be seen assisting in the distance, on August 16, 1942. Kodacolor negative by Otto Perry.

During this time the Denver & Rio Grande had also been expanding.  Under the leadership of David Moffat, it first built from Red Cliff to Glenwood Springs in an effort to ward off a threat from the standard-gauge Colorado Midland Railway (CM). 

The line was completed on October 6, 1887 and a month later, reached to the silver camp of Aspen (November 1st).  In 1889 rails were pushed further west to Rifle as officials eyed Grand Junction and the opening of a secondary main line. 

At this point the CM and D&RG elected to work together on the project, finishing the connector on November 14, 1890.  While Palmer was converting his the D&RGW, his cross-border competitors were doing the name.

The D&RG's narrow-gauge system peaked in 1887 at 1,673 miles.  So extensive was its 3-foot network that in 1890 it had only 64 miles of standard-gauge track in operation.

This figure rapidly increased over the following decade as major systems wanted to utilize the D&RG as a through route between Denver and Salt Lake City. 

Once officials recognized (particularly after the Sherman Silver Purchase Act was repealed by President Grover Cleveland in 1893) their railroad's potential in this regard, efforts at conversion were hastened theꃞnver-Grand Junction section was completed on November 14, 1890 and by 1900 more than 1,000 miles were standard-gauged. 

This number continued to increase in the succeeding years.  Surprisingly, there remained a few holdouts until well after World War II, most notably within the San Juan district west of Antonito which remained unchanged until service ceased in 1967. 

Afterwards, much of this trackage was sold to the states of Colorado and New Mexico for a tourist attraction.  Today they are operated as the Durango & Silverton Narrow-Gauge and Cumbres & Toltec Scenic.

Rio Grande 2-8-2 #483 (K-36) stops for a drink at the water tower near Bondad, New Mexico along the Farmington Branch during June of 1967. Drew Jacksich photo.

The Modern Denver & Rio Grande Western

In 1896, Gould's empire was handed over to his son, George, who continued his father's transcontinental ambitions.  At this time he controlled the Missouri Pacific, Wabash, Western Maryland, Wheeling & Lake Erie, and the Rio Grande. George is credited with reuniting the D&RG and Rio Grande Western under common management by acquiring stock control of the latter in February of 1901.

- To simply his corporate structure, Gould merged the Rio Grand Western into the D&RG in August of 1908. -

However, his decision to use the two in funding the Western Pacific's construction saddled both with heavy debt for decades to come.  The company generally struggled under Gould's control it not only dealt with crushing financial burdens but was also left to its own affairs resulting in deferred maintenance and relatively poor management. 

When the financial Panic of 1907 struck, Gould's financing collapsed, and along with it his transcontinental dreams.  One by one his properties slipped into bankruptcy, including the Missouri Pacific in 1915 which held some 30% of Rio Grande's stock.

The Rio Grande Southern Railroad

Of Colorado's numerous railroads built to serve the legendary San Juan mining district, one of the more noteworthy was the Rio Grande Southern (RGS). 

This system was incorporated on November 5, 1889 and promoted by Otto Mears.  By that time he had already been involved with various ventures related to the mining industry. 

Its main line was a zigzag affair from the north at Ridgway it wound its way through Placerville, headed south, then southwest to Dolores, and turned roughly due east back into Durango. 

While it was a fascinating operation (making it a popular subject to model), especially its crossing of 10,250-foot Lizard Head Pass, the steep grades and sharp curves made operations extremely difficult.   It was a profitable carrier until the Sherman Silver Purchase Act was repealed on June 30, 1893. 

This caused tonnage to drop by more than half and it entered receivership on August 2, 1893.  D&RG's president, Edward Jeffrey, was made receiver which effectively gave Rio Grande control. 

Rio Grande Southern exited receivership on December 1, 1895 and despite the traffic losses did relatively well until the markets crashed in October of 1929. 

This led to another bankruptcy on December 11th and an end to Rio Grande's involvement.  It failed to escape receivership for more than 20 years as the courts did their best to keep the company solvent.

It survived on government loans and remaining zinc mining until operations ceased entirely on December 17, 1951.  The following August and September its network was dismantled.

Rio Grande 4-6-6-4 #3710 (L-105) departs Denver for Pueblo, Colorado during 1952. Robert Le Massena photo.

Then, the United States Railroad Administration took over the industry, made effective at noon on December 28, 1917.  The directive was ordered by President Woodrow Wilson in response to fears of national gridlock.  

Unfortunately, the government did no better at maintaining fluid operations than the private sector, resulting in rundown equipment and inadequately maintained equipment.  This issue, coupled with its crushing debt and complicated corporate structure, led to the D&RG's receivership on January 25, 1918. 

The Transportation Act made effective February 28, 1920 returned the industry to private ownership.  The Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad was subsequently organized to acquire the D&RG's assets, taking formal control on August 1, 1921.  Financial struggles continued and a second bankruptcy occurred on July 21, 1922. 

It was again reorganized on October 29, 1924 but this time carried the same name.  As the company's situation remained uncertain it built one of the country's great engineering feats, thanks largely to funding provided through the city of Denver and federal Reconstruction Finance Corporation loans.

A handsome Rio Grande PA-1 along with F7B #5563 and F3A #5544 layover at Grand Junction, Colorado between runs ahead of the "Royal Gorge" on December 4, 1957. Jackson Thode photo.

According to Mike Schafer's took, "Classic American Railroads," part of the D&SL crossed 11,680-foot Rollins Pass.  It was situated somewhat northwest of Denver and was only surmounted via a series of tortuous switchbacks, carrying grades as high as 4%. 

So difficult was this stretch that 23 miles of railroad were required to connect two points just 8 miles apart.   To improve operations the city agreed in 1922 to help fund a new tunnel under James Peak.  Following six years of work the $18 million project was completed in 1928 and named for D&SL's founder. 

Moffat Tunnel was 6.1 miles in length and reduced the trip from hours to a mere 15 minutes.  After the Rio Grande gained control it completed a short connector in 1934 known as the Dotsero Cutoff which ran from D&SL at Bond to D&RGW's Tennessee Pass main line at Dotsero.   

This essentially completed Rio Grande's modern network which contained 2,569 route miles (including standard, narrow, and third-rail gauge).  Alas, with the ongoing depression and lingering monetary troubles another bankruptcy occurred on November 1, 1935.

Diesel Locomotive Roster

American Locomotive Company

Model Type Road Number Date Built Quantité
S2101-1199/1941-5/194419
RS35200-52046/19515
PA1600A-601A, 600C-601C1/1947-4/19474
PB1600B-601B1/1947-2/19472

Baldwin Locomotive Works

Model Type Road Number Date Built Quantité
VO-66066-745/31/1941-8/30/19419

Electro-Motive Corporation/Electro-Motive Division

Model Type Road Number Date Built Quantité
SW1200130-139196510
FTA540A-551A, 540D-551D1/1942-10/194424
FTB540B-551B, 540C-551C1/1942-10/194424
F3A552A-554A, 552D-554D11/19466
F3B552B-554B, 552C-554C11/19466
F7A555A-564A, 555D-564D2/1949-7/194920
F7B555B-564B, 555C-564C2/1949-7/194920
F7A555A-564A, 555D-564D2/1949-7/194920
F7A5651, 5654, 5661, 5664, 5671, 5674, 5681, 5684, 5691, 5694, 5701, 5704, 5711, 5714, 5721, 5724, 5731, 5734, 5741, 5744, 5751, 5754, 5761, 57646/1950-7/195224
F7B5652-5653, 5662-5663, 5672-5673, 5682-5683, 5692-5693, 5702-5703, 5712-5713, 5722-5723, 5732-5733, 5742-5743, 5752-5753, 57626/1950-7/195223
GP303001-30284/1962-2/196328
GP353029-30505/1964-1/196522
GP403051-3093, 3131-31531/1966-4/198566
GP40-23094-31304/1972-3/198337
GP603154-31565/19903
GP75101-511310/1950-6/195213
SD75300-53045/19535
SD95305-53147/195710
SD455315-53401/1967-3/196826
SD40T-25341-541310/1974-3/198073
SD505501-55178/1984-9/198417
F9B5762-5263, 5772-57739/19554
F9A5771, 57749/19552
GP95901-5904, 5911-5914, 5921-5924, 5931-5934, 5941-5944, 5951-59544/1955-6/195624
NW270001/19411

Davenport Locomotive Works

Model Type Road Number Date Built Quantité
30-Ton (Narrow-Gauge)5019631

Model Type Road Number Date Built Quantité
H-10-44120-1234/19484
H-15-44150-1521/1948-2/19483

Model Type Road Number Date Built Quantité
44-Ton38-438/1941-9/19426

Model Type Road Number Date Built Quantité
ML-4000 (Cab Unit)4001-40036/19613

Rio Grande F9A #5771 leads the eastbound "Rio Grande Zephyr" toward Soldier Summit south of Spanish Fork, Utah in August, 1973. Drew Jacksich photo.

Aujourd'hui

In 1988 the Broomfield Historical Society changed its name to the Broomfield Depot Museum. In 2011 the group sold its collection to the City and County of Broomfield. Broomfield now runs the Broomfield Depot Museum, while the former historical society is now known as Broomfield Depot Museum Friends.

In 2014 the museum was closed for seven months while the depot’s foundation and exterior were repaired with the help of nearly $300,000 from the City and County of Broomfield and the State Historical Fund. At the same time, the basement was remodeled to serve as office space and archival storage. When the museum reopened in early 2015, it featured a new focus on the depot’s history. The ticket office, waiting room, and baggage area now house artifacts from the depot’s interurban era in the 1910s, while the station agent’s living quarters display artifacts and furniture that represent the depot’s appearance in the 1930s. The final phase of the depot’s exterior rehabilitation was completed in 2016, when the building received a new wood-shingle roof.

The depot is a Broomfield Landmark and was listed on the Colorado State Register of Historic Properties in 2016. The museum offers free admission and is open to the public on Saturdays and for group tours during the week.


Hanging Bridge

An interesting part of the Santa Fe construction through the gorge is the hanging bridge at a point where the gorge narrows to 30 feet. Here the railroad had to be suspended over the river along the north side of the gorge as shear rock walls go right down into the river on both sides.

C. Shallor Smith, a Kansas engineer, designed a 175-ft plate girder suspended on one side by “A” frame girders spanning the river and anchored to the rock walls. The bridge cost $11,759 in 1879, a princely sum in those days. Although it has been strengthened over the years, this unique structure has served on a main rail line for over 118 years.


Montrose Colorado Railroad Station - History

You came to the right place. Click the photos to learn more about favorite activities in the area!

This beautiful Western Colorado community sits at an elevation of 5,794 feet and is nestled within easy reach of a remarkably vast selection of vacation experiences. Thus the slogan &ldquoStay here. Play everywhere.&rdquo

With the plummeting depths of the Black Canyon National Park just to the east, the towering and majestic San Juan Mountains to the south, the expansive Uncompahgre Plateau to the west, and lake-bejeweled Grand Mesa to the north, and an expansive water sports park right in the middle of town, Montrose is literally surrounded by an endless variety of prospects for exploration and adventure.

Shake off the road at the Montrose Rec Center, the newest and largest recreational center on the Western Slope. Featuring a 5,000 sq ft, fully equipped weight room and fitness center, indoor walk/jog track, cool-water lap pool with a slackline and drop slide, warm water leisure pool with a lazy river, playground, and zero-depth entry beach, and two-story slide, and so much more.

Enjoy your visit to include as much variety as you wish. Begin the day with a scenic drive or an exhilarating wilderness trek, throw in some cultural sites or a round of golf, and finish the day at one of our local restaurants or brewpubs (see special offers included in your bag). Families can keep downtime at bay by mixing in a little something for everyone &ndash shopping, fishing, biking, photography, camping, swimming, motor-sports &ndash you get the idea!


Voir la vidéo: A drive down Main street, Montrose, colorado (Mai 2022).